Aug 3, 2011

John's Famous Deli

Never heard of it?  It's ok, because before last week I never have either.  Why do restaurants put the word "famous" in their titles?

I will say one thing, though.  Even though this place is not that famous, it should be.  John's Famous Deli is a small operation located in Staten Island, with three more locations in Brooklyn.  From the outside it looks like your typical deli.  Open door, plenty of signs displaying Boar's Head products and prices, and breakfast and lunch specials.  

John's boasts that it has the best roast beef in the world.  After reading yelp reviews of the deli, I was intrigued to try it myself.  Everyone was going crazy for the roast beef sandwich.  Roast beef?  Fresh Mozzarella?  Onions?  Gravy?  This I was looking forward to.  

They offer two sizes.  On a roll for $6, or on a hero for $7.50.  I went for the hero.  The guy behind the counter then sliced the roast beef fresh, piled it on my sandwich, added a few slices of fresh mozzarella, caramelized onions, and threw it into a pizza oven to toast.

A sign on the drink fridge reads "If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong place."  Funny.

There was just one person in the deli ahead of me.  He ordered two roast beef sandwiches for himself.  Then another guy came in and ordered a roast beef sandwich.  Then three more guys came in and did the same.  Six guys, seven roast beef sandwich orders, in a span of ten minutes.  Wow.



After a few minutes the result is a hot roast beef sandwich, melted mozzarella, and perfectly crispy bread.  This sandwich is so full of flavor.  I asked for the gravy on the side, and glad I did.  I was hesitant to try it at first.  The gravy, referred to as "midnight gravy" by The Village Voice, looks and has the consistency of motor oil.  It's jet engine black. It tastes incredibly bitter on its own.

It really is the best roast beef in the world
Put them together, though, and you'll be amazed by how well they work together.  This was one of the best sandwiches I had in a very long time.  In fact, it was too big to even finish.  I got through 3/4 of it, and hit a food wall.  At least there is more for tomorow.
When I hit the food wall
Staten Islanders, if you haven't yet tried the roast beef sandwich at John's, go to it.

John's Famous Deli
15 Innis Street
Staten Island, NY 10302

2 comments: