Sep 1, 2011

Prosperity Dumpling

I don't know if you can find a better deal in NYC, and if you can, I'd love for you to show me.

Rickshaw, I think we've met your match.

Prosperity Dumpling is literally a hole-in-the-wall located in Chinatown.  Walk too fast down Eldridge Street at night and you may miss it, as the yellow sign hanging above the door can not be seen.  Just look for the line out the small door and wait patiently for a few minutes, and you'll be greatly rewarded.

Prosperity isn't much to look at.  A small counter lining the wall with two bar stools is all that is inside.  The space can fit about 3 customers comfortably.  However, the line here moves fast, and everything in here is dirt cheap.  That's what tempted me to venture out to Chinatown and try this place out.  The dumplings here are 5 for $1. That's right.  No gimmick.  No hustle.  You get 5 jumbo dumplings for $1.

Now I've had cheap meals before, and it's always you get what you pay for.  What can you really expect for that price?  I can tell you, now from experience, these are the best dumplings I have ever had in NYC, and the fact they are so incredibly cheap makes them taste even better.




The dumplings are hand-made with a pork and chive filling.  Vegetarian dumplings are available too.  They are then seared on one side in a huge cast-iron skillet and covered to keep hot.  On this visit I couldn't help but go a little overboard.  I ordered 15 pork dumplings for a total of $3.  The ratio of skin to meat was spot-on.  The dumplings were incredibly hot on the inside.  There was a large amount of filling in every one.  The meat was flavorful.  How do they do it?
15 Pork & Chive Dumplings for $3
I've read reviews of people saying they are wary of this place because they must use the cheapest cuts of meat possible.  Well, good.  This is what cheap cuts are meant for.  I think I would be more pissed off if they cut up a tenderloin and used it for dumplings.  In fact, you should be too.  Just order your dumplings, take them down the street to the park close-by, sit on a bench, and enjoy your amazingly cheap dumplings as passerby's now look on in envy.
Flavorful, meaty, hearty, lovely.
Prosperity Dumpling is so much better and cheaper than Rickshaw.  I think I've found my new favorite dumpling spot in NY.

Prosperity Dumpling
46 Eldridge Street
New York, NY 10002

No comments:

Post a Comment