Sep 4, 2011

Tacos el Idolo Food Truck

After my visit to Tacos el Bronco a few weeks ago in Brooklyn, my mouth has been watering for more tasty, authentic tacos in NY.  Located just two blocks from the West Village location of Gray's Papaya, I couldn't help but try out the tacos from the Food Truck of Tacos el Idolo.

Even though I've never been to the West Coast (I'll make it there in November, pick your jaw back up!), and hardly remember my last visit to Texas, people from those areas constantly say that authentic Mexican food in NYC does not measure up.  Honestly, that makes me upset.  NYC is known as a food mecca, and the fact that I can't find something really authentic here pisses me off.  With that being said, I can't wait to try out the Mexican food in California when I make it out there later this year.

That being said, I guess I'll settle for what I think are some great places here.  Tacos El Idolo is based out of Corona, Queens, and has about three to four food trucks parked around NY.  What really drew me to try them out was their meat selection.  Along with the usual carnitas, beef, chicken, spicy pork, and salty beef, they also offer tongue, tripe, ear, and even goat meat.  You know I'm always on the lookout for offal cuts.  Tacos El Idolo did not disappoint.




The tacos here are $2.50 a piece, the same price as the large tacos offered at El Bronco.  On the upside, though, they are very large, and do not skimp on the meat.  I ordered four tacos, which included two carnitas (fried pork), one ear, and one goat meat.

Tongue, Carnitas, and Goat Tacos from Tacos el Idolo
Served with a lime a piece and green jalapeno sauce on the side, these tacos were incredible.  The pork and tongue tacos had so much flavor, only enhanced by the lime and green sauce.  On a side note, their green sauce is HOT, so if you like it spicy, this will definitely satisfy your taste buds.  My only complaint was the last taco I tried.  The goat meat was a little chewy and didn't really have much flavor to it, no matter what I put on it.  Oh well, can't all be winners.

Tacos El Idolo
Parked on 6th Ave between Washington and W. 4th Streets
New York, NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment