Jun 7, 2011

The Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory

One of my closest friends introduced me to The Brownstone Diner a few years ago.  Ever since, I was jealous of the fact that she lived, literally, twenty feet from the entrance.  This diner has now become my favorite in the area, as well as so many others I have introduced it to.

It may be the welcoming family spirit of the Bournias.  Since the early 70's this place has been family owned, and every member of the family can be seen from time to time working in the diner.  You can tell they care.  They care a lot about their customers.  Every one of them is friendly, and welcome each diner with a warm smile and open heart.  You feel at home from the second you walk through the door, and this could also be due to the fact that the diner has a feel of someone's home kitchen.  There is no endless stainless steel or neon lights here. 

As many times as I have been here, I can admit I have only conquered about a quarter of their menu.  In true diner fashion, they offer well over 100 items, with 31 of them being just pancakes.  Hey, if you're gonna call yourself The Pancake Factory, you better have an entire page of your menu dedicated to them.  I could go on and on about how great their pancakes are, and in fact I could go on and on about how great everything on their menu is, but I don't have to.  Most people already know.  It's not surprising to have to wait upwards of an hour or two for a seat here on the weekends.  And this was even before the diner was showcased on Guy Fieri's Food Network show "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives".  (This will explain the huge poster of him hanging over the window to the open kitchen.) 

You can get breakfast here all day (they're open every day from 6am-11pm).  As much as I love their pancakes, though, corned beef hash and eggs is, and always will be my go-to for diner breakfasts.  I can't get enough of it.  When I started living on my own years ago I even found myself buying cans upon cans of corned beef hash to cook at home.  To me it is the ultimate comfort food.  There is nothing better when you're sitting at home, and eating a plate full of warm, crispy corned beef hash and poached eggs.  A sprinkle of tabasco and I'm in heaven.



With my love for corned beef hash and eggs in mind, you can guess how incredibly happy I was to see they offer it three different ways on their menu.  There is only one preparation of it that I found not only here at Brownstone diner, but anywhere in the area.  Sadly, it is only offered until 3pm.  Behold, the Irish Benedict.

Corned Beef Hash & Eggs "Benedict"
Three poached eggs, hollandaise sauce, corned beef hash, three english muffins, side of breakfast potatoes.  IT IS THE BEST EGG BENEDICT YOU WILL EVER HAVE.  No Canadian bacon needed here.  Yes, I want to reinforce that fact as much as possible.  This dish is huge and so incredibly soul satisfying.  I crave it when I don't have it.  It makes my mouth water.  It's less than $10.  Omg.  Not the best way to start a day, though, because you will need a nap afterwords. 

I encourage everyone to try this place.  I love it.  I know you will too.  Even if you're not in the mood for breakfast, try one of their amazing sandwiches, burgers, pastas, or special Greek fare.  They pretty much offer everything you're craving.  Whatever you order, I highly recommend getting a side of "Bobby's fries" to go with it. 

Bobby is the eldest son, and one of the owners of the place. He can be seen walking around and welcoming people into the diner, and for some reason he's always dressed in a suit.  His fries are incredible.  Crispy potato fries, topped with melted chedder cheese and feta.  Cheesy, salty, satisfying goodness.  I am not gonna lie, I ordered them to go even when I came in for the benedict.  I suggest you do the same, you won't be disappointed.

Brownstone Diner & Pancake Factory
426 Jersey Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07302

2 comments:

  1. ahh i'm craving brownstone now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I told you to start eating breakfast before reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete