Jun 14, 2011

Fatty Snack Kiosk

Earlier this summer owner Zak Pelaccio expanded his Fatty Crab empire into Battery Park, setting up small kiosks of Fatty 'Cue in the park itself, as well as Fatty Snack in the park and the World Financial Center. 

If you have yet to try Fatty Crab I highly recommend you do so.  The original is located in the West Village, and it does get packed very quickly.  However, the Upper West Side location is a tiny bit more spacious and also has outdoor seating.  Their chili crab is one of my favorite dishes in the city.  Hard-shelled crab, swimming in a spicy, sweet, salty, sour curry with large pieces of bread.  It's messy, it's delicious, and a whole lot of fun to eat. 

When I learned that they had expanded into battery park I immediately had high hopes of checking it out.  On this gorgeous Monday afternoon I biked into the back of the World Financial Center and had done just that.  The scenery is enough to pay a visit.  The kiosk is one of three, set up right next to a lobster roll stand, and Quality Burger.  In front of them is the  financial center with plenty of outdoor seating, and behind them is a beautiful view of a marina and the Hudson river.  On a sunny day it's no wonder you see thousands of people hanging out in the area with burgers, beers, pulled pork sandwiches, and fatty dogs in hand. 

The food at Fatty Snack is a bit on the pricier side, and quite honestly I don't see myself paying $7 for a sausage dog (and why is it only $6 at the park?) or $9 for a pulled pork sandwich on a regular basis.  And $3 for a Fiji water?  Get the hell out of here. 



They close at 7pm, and I got to the kiosk around 6pm.  There was no one on line.  However, the line for Quality Burger was long and growing.  I should have taken that as a sign.  Nontheless, I ordered a Fatty Dog and waited patiently to dive into Zak's creativity once again. 

That waiting patiently part...turned out to be 15 minutes, as the man behind the grill told me he started to let his grill die since it was late in the day.  No sir, I think you let it die because you're not getting any business.  The grill at Quality Burger was still going strong.  Zak, if you start serving Corona's from your stand instead of flat, watered-down lemongrass gingered iced-tea (believe me, not worth the $4) like the burger stand does you'll get business too!

Fatty Dog
The Fatty Dog consists of a good-sized house-made pork sausage, cut into smaller pieces to make it easier to eat.  It's served on a soft roll with bbq sauce, and pickled coleslaw.



Don't get me wrong, the dog was good, but overall a major disappointment.  The overall wait time, the high price tag, the flavorless iced tea, and how the three people working the kiosk were worried more about cleaning up than anything else, just made for a horrible time.  I might return to try their char-grilled steak Banh Mi, which sounds incredibly tasty, but at this point I'm in no rush.

Fatty Snack
World Financial Center Plaza
220 Vesey Street
New York, NY 10281

1 comment:

  1. the color on that sausage doesn't look so appetizing

    ReplyDelete