Nov 24, 2011

Ghirardelli Ice Cream Shop

For many people visiting San Francisco for the first time, there are a few landmarks which are easily recognizable.  The gorgeous colors of the Golden Gate Bridge, the curves of Lombard Street, the cable cars easily seen around the city, and to anyone on the pier, the famous Ghirardelli sign.
Say "Gear-ar-delly"
The Ghirardelli sign indicates Ghirardelli Square, an entire block showcasing the original factory, chocolate shop, ice cream shop, chocolate cafe, and other neighboring food vendors.  Started in 1852 by a man named Domingo Ghirardelli, Ghirardelli Chocolate is America's only chocolate company that controls the entire chocolate manufacturing process, from blending their own beans, to methods of roasting, and eventually processing and packaging.  The company ensures the highest level of chocolate making, and if you're one of the few that have yet to taste a Ghirardelli chocolate bar, I highly recommend you do, because you are missing out.

Peppermint Bark, so good.
Ghirardelli boasts over 40 varieties of chocolate, and the chocolate shop located in the Square showcases them all.  I do have a personal favorite, but the sad news is that my favorite one is only available seasonally.  It is the Peppermint Bark, and only available around Christmas time.  During my 10-day stay in San Francisco, I probably bought about 5 of those chocolate bars to hold me over.  Hey, it's only available a few weeks of the year and it they were on sale, leave me alone.





What really brings people together on the Square, staying busy all the way until closing time at 11pm, is the Ice Cream Shop.  They have a true recipe for success here, bringing together their famous chocolates with freshly made ice cream.  During my walks around the square I witnessed all types of groups, tourists and locals alike, young and old, singles, couples, and families, all congregating at the front door.  It was no surprise I made a visit here myself one night.
The famous chocolate shop

And the family-friendly ice cream shop
After waiting as long as a half hour during certain times, you then have to navigate the insanely huge menu.  They have over 50 flavor combinations and styles of ice cream.  I decided to go for the Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sundae.
Peanut Butter Hor Fudge Sundae
Vanilla ice cream with freshly-made hot fudge, warm peanut butter swimming throughout, Ghirardelli peanut butter chocolate squares, the airiest of whipped creams, and of course, the single cherry on top.

I don't believe I need to continue.  I will say, though, at $8.95 it wasn't cheap, but it was &^%$@# worth it.

Ghirardelli Ice Cream Shop
900 North Point St
San Francisco, CA 94109




No comments:

Post a Comment