Nov 26, 2011

Umami Burger


On one of my first days here in SF I did a lot of research for places I could grab a quick lunch during my day.  I realized very quickly while looking up places in SF that this city has A LOT of burger joints.  There's one major contender every few blocks, with more openings coming right after the other.  Umami Burger is one of these contenders, and even though it's an LA export, is easily recognizable by the locals here as one of the best burgers in the city.

Umami Burger is located in the Marina district, known by the locals as "where all the yuppies hang out".  Walking through the neighborhood it looks like San Francisco's version of Soho, just without the models walking around.  Small artisanal shops line up one after the other, with a great mix of food and fashion.  Walking through you will eventually pass by an nondescript building which is Umami, with nothing more on the outside of the restaurant than the strange logo and street address.

I don't really know what to make of the logo, which looks like an imprint of a woman's lips.  I get it is a sandwich bun, except none of the buns the burgers here sit on look anything like it.



There's not much to the decor, but what can you really expect from a restaurant like this.  As my waiter took my order one thing did pop out at me, though.  Umami Burger offers a great selection of beers.  That's the first sign that a burger shop knows what they are doing.  Who doesn't enjoy a beer with their burger?  If the place takes the time to research and carry a great selection of drinks, the food can only match that philosophy.  In my case, I started with an Allagash White Ale.

Then came the burger, branded by Umami's "U" logo.  This is Umami's "Manly Burger".  Special meat blend, beer-cheddar cheese, onions rings, and bacon lardons.  This was one of the best burgers I have ever had.  The meat had so juicy, had incredible flavor, and was only complemented by the crunch and fattiness of the toppings.  Looking for a bacon cheeseburger?  Look no further than this one.   I finished this in less than 5 minutes.
Every burger is branded with a "U"
Umami's Manly Burger
Umami's Cheese Tots with House-Made Ketchup
Doing my research beforehand paid off, as I was able to order a side that is not offered on their menu.  Ask your waiter about the cheese tots.  From what I've read they don't offer it on the menu because they make them all in house, and most likely don't want to sell out.  Trust me when I tell you, it is worth asking about, and worth even more than the high price attached to it.

These tots were incredible.  The perfect crunch, soft, pillow-like interior, the warm, melting cheese, taken a step even further by the house-made ketchup, that had a touch of sweetness I couldn't quite identify.  These will bring you back to your childhood of cafeteria lunches, even if just for a few minutes.

If you're on the west coast and come across an Umami burger, definitely check it out.

Umami Burger
2184 Union Street
 San Francisco, CA 94123

No comments:

Post a Comment