Nov 25, 2011

In-N-Out Burger

I've never been here.  Imagine my excitement when I saw this:
Hmm...colors seem familiar..
For any east coaster there is one burger chain that you always hear about but never, ever have the chance to visit.  In-N-Out Burger only exists on the west coast (yes I know technically there are 2 in Texas now).  What is all the hype my friends have built up for me?  What is the "Animal Style" burger?  What makes everyone on the eastern seaboard flock to a burger stand the second they are in California?  Well, I'm about to find out.

I was two days into my trip when I took a photo of the outside of the restaurant and posted it to my facebook page.  Immediately I received responses from friends, "My favorite!", "Get the Animal Style!!", "The fries suck!".  Seems like I have been missing out on an In-N-Out experience...



The In-N-Out Burger located at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is the only In-N-Out Burger located in San Francisco, so needless to say, it was packed at all hours of the day.  It was around 9pm when I finally saw the line die down enough that I would embark on my burger journey.  I could finally be a part of the club.

Based on recommendations I went for the Double-Double Cheeseburger Animal Style.  This is a double beef mustard-cooked patty, two slices of American cheese, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, and an extra spread of their secret sauce.

I finally received my order.  I took it outside.  I sat down.  I grabbed it between my fingers, looked at it straight in the patty one last time.  I took a bite.  And..
Double-double Cheeseburger "Animal Style"
...nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  I didn't get any thrill from this at all.  In fact, I didn't see what anyone saw in this burger.  Was it too hyped up?  Is it just me, who was expecting something so extraordinary that I completely messed up the experience?  Or am I the only sane one who thinks the burgers at Five Guys are better?

Well, on a recent trip to LA I realized I'm not alone.  Seeing an In-N-Out Burger just steps away from the airport, I met another east coaster (this time a dentist from upstate NY), and not remembering how we started talking about it, realized In-N-Out Burger is just a west coast kind of thing.  Neither of us saw the thrill or thought it was worth the time to stand in line for a plain burger.

I know a lot of people may comment on this and call me crazy, but I will defend myself by saying this.  If you read any post on my blog I am very well capable of remembering in full detail flavors that coax my palate.  If I had a great eating experience, it will stay with me for a lifetime.  In-N-Out Burger, however, was completely forgetful to me.

::shrug::  To each his own.

In-N-Out Burger
333 Jefferson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

No comments:

Post a Comment